Sunday, November 23, 2008

A bunch of puffs and a temple!!


In England there is a famous television show, it is like the David Letterman show and is presented by Jonathan Ross. Anyway, they have a house band called 4 puffs and a piano, made up of 4 gay men (puffs) and a piano. The reason that I am telling you this is that a couple of weeks ago there were protests around the Salt Lake Temple about the outcome of proposition 8, and the name of that band just kept popping into my mind, all I could think of was 'a bunch of puffs and a temple' which made me giggle. I therefore decided to stick around Temple Square on the night of the protest and watch the 'fireworks'. I have to admit that I was very excited! I mean, how often is it that that many homosexuals visit Temple Square??!!!!!!
I am not really sure of my feelings toward this protest. On the one had I was overwhelmed with the response that we had at Church Offices from our own members who wanted their names removed from the records of the church because of the stand that we had taken, supporting proposition 8. I was honestly shocked that some church members would be surprised that we would take a stand against same sex marriage. I thought that it was rather clear that we would oppose anything that threatened the sanctity of marriage. I was also stunned at the overwhelming response that we had from people not of our faith, who called to let us know of their support and gratitude for speaking out in support of traditional marriage.
On the other hand, I think that being homosexual is something that is very difficult to live with, especially for members of our church. I feel that people are born with homosexual tendencies, and that it is honestly difficult for them, and I do feel that we should be more accepting of different people and different lifestyles even though those beliefs sometimes clash with our own.
I did actually really enjoy the protest. It was nice that the Church allows people to freely express their opinions on Temple Square.

2 comments:

Brandi said...

It is good that people can speak their minds.

Mia said...

I agree with everything you said! I love that you could go and watch the protest without feeling intimidated or scared. I'd be the one running away as fast as I could go—such a coward. What do I think they'd do to me? Propose?