Monday, June 30, 2008
Therefore I have decided to change the title a little. Instead of 'top five influential reads, I am doing, "top five influential authors." So here goes... I will list the author and then a few of my favourite books by that author and why I like them.
1. C.S. Lewis
The Chronicles of Narnia,
The Screwtape Letters,
Mere Christianity and
The Great Divorce.
These are among the most influential books I have read. I love them, I love his style of writing and the way that he has such a grasp on humanity and religion. I think he is one of the greatest psychologists ever known.
2. Mary Ellen Edmunds
Love is a Verb,
Peculiar in a good way and
Prayer, the soul's sincere desire.
Mary Ellen is possibly my favourite female church author, she is hilarious but really very righteous and humble and good. An amazing woman.
3. Sheri Dew
If Life Were Easy It Wouldn't Be Hard and
God Wants A Powerful People
Sheri Dew has not always been a favourite of mine, in fact I went through a phase where I did not like her at all but more recently I have read many of her books and have loved them. She is truly an inspired woman.
4. Patricia Holland
A Quiet Heart
Patricia Holland is my favourite woman in the world. This book was the first 'serious' church book that I had read. I loved it so much and it actually opened the door for me to explore other books by LDS women.
5. Tom Plummer
Waltzing To A Different Strummer,
Eating Chocolates And Dancing In The Kitchen and
Don't Bite Me I'm Santa Claus
Tom is one of my favourite authors of all time. He is amazing. I like his writing style, he is just very open and ordinary and writes about his real life experiences. He is a brilliant man.
There are other authors that have had a great influence on me as I have been growing up, they have contributed to my great love of reading and stories and all things magical. Here are a few of them, A.A Milne, George Eliot, Shirley Hughes, Judy Blume, Roald Dahl, William Shakespeare, Thomas Hardy, Gordon B Hinckley, S. Michael Wilcox, Steve Turner, Stanley Milgram, Philip Zimbardo and just recently J.R.R. Tolkien.
I tag Kerrin, Karen, Cassie, Rachel and Becky.
Wednesday, June 25, 2008
Tuesday, June 24, 2008
Thursday, June 19, 2008
I do feel a little guilt though - I mean it did not actually do anything to me, in truth it's only crime was being the ugliest bug I have ever seen - ever. I did feel a little sorry for the bug this morning, so I thought about maybe writing a story about its life so that it can live in infamy and it will not have died for a stupid reason. Maybe I will make it a little gravestone: "Here lies Buggy the Bug, squished by a falling book on Wednesday June 18th 2008. He was a noble bug and fought to the death but was defeated at the last by a clever giant. RIP"
Tuesday, June 17, 2008
A simpleton, a foolish person.
nincompoophood n. Obs. the state or fact of being a nincompoop.
nincompoopism n. = NINCOMPOOPERY n.
Foolishness, stupidity; the action, speech, or behaviour of a nincompoop.
Nincompoopish, adj. and n.
Characteristic of or resembling a nincompoop; foolish, simple-minded. Also as n. (with the): nincompoops as a class.
Sunday, June 15, 2008
Thursday, June 5, 2008
Rubbish, n (and a.) 1. a. Waste or refuse material, in early use esp. such as results from the decay or repair of buildings; debris, litter, refuse; rejected and useless matter of any kind. Also, a heap of rubbish.
Rubbish, v. 1. trans. To disparage, criticize severely. Hence rubbished ppl. a.; rubbishing vbl. n.
Rubbisher, n. A person who criticizes, disparages, or ridicules.
Rubbishing, a. Paltry, worthless, rubbishy.
Rubbishly, a. Rubbishy, worthless.
Rubbishry Rubbish; a collection of rubbish.
Rubbishy, a. 1. Abounding in, covered with, rubbish or litter.
How is it I get all the numpties in my class?
Place it several inches out from the pocket nearest the lower red and definitely not, as that numpty did fifteen odd years ago, right behind the tallest ball.
What a bunch of numpties.
Yi know, there are times in my life when I feel like the worst wee numpty jobby in the world. (Rab C. Nesbitt - see above, is a classic example of a numpty!)
An inquisitive person.
Wednesday, June 4, 2008
Monday, June 2, 2008
They are without doubt the most creatively funny people I have ever met. In fact I was having a bit of a strange mood day today - there is nothing wrong with me - I am just feeling a bit weird. Anyway a few days ago I sent out to a few people one of those stupid getting to know you e-mails. I like to do them if the questions are unique or clever but if they are just the run of the mill ones that I have done a million times then I get bored and annoyed with them. Anyway, this one was sent to me at work and I had nothing extremely pressing or exciting to do so I decided that I would fill it out and send it on to a few people. Here are Zan's answers... the guy is a creative genius, such a brilliant, dry sense of humour, I am in awe!
1. What time did you get up this morning? Crack o'dawn
2. Diamonds or pearls? Just plain rocks
3. What was the last film you saw at the cinema? Sean of the Dead
4. What is your favourite T.V. show? Quite Interesting (from the UK.)
5. What do you usually have for breakfast? Lunch
6. What is your middle name? "Killer"
7. What food do you dislike? Chip barms and cockles
8. What is your favourite CD at the moment? Sound effects of a haunted house
9. What kind of car do you drive? Vauxhall Corsa
10. Favourite sandwich? Chip barms with a slice of hamburger instead of the chips.
11. What characteristic do you despise? Involuntary grinning
12. Favourite item of clothing? The sock
13. If you could go anywhere in the world on holiday, where would you go? Someplace sunny and cheery with cheap petrol, such as the UK.
14. Favourite brand of clothing? K-Mart.
15. Where would you retire to? Where I am.
16. What was your most recent memorable birthday? My next one.
17. Favourite sport to watch? Sutton United.
18. Furthest place you are sending this? West Salt Lake County.
19. Person you expect to send it back first? West Salt Lake County.
20. When is your birthday? 15th of Av.
21. Are you a morning person or a night person? I exist in both.
22. What is your shoe size? A royal foot.
23. Pets? I collect spores, molds and other fungi.
24. Any new and exciting news you would like to share with us. I went to Draper recently.
25. What did you want to be when you were little? Invisible
26. How are you today? Rockin'
27. What is your favourite flower? Venus fly traps.
28. What is a day on the calendar that you are next looking forward to? Tomorrow.
29. What is your full name? The Grand Invincible Omnipotent Stomper.
30. What are you listening to right now? My fingers clicking the keyboard keys.
31. What was the last thing you ate? Water
32. Do you wish on stars? No, they seem to be doing fine without me.
33. If you were a crayon, what colour would you be? Midnight blue.
34. How is the weather right now? Blazing sunset, which never happens in the Brit Isles.
35. Last person you spoke to on the phone? Me mum and me dad.
36. Favourite soft drink? Sams (Walmart) Caffeine-Free Diet Cola
37. Favourite restaurant? Harry Ramsden Chip Shop
38. Hair colour? White mixed with patches of flesh.
39. What was your favourite toy as a child? Personal flame-thrower.
40. Summer or winter? Neither, it's spring.
41. Hugs or kisses? Arm's length at least, I'm of Scandinavian ancestry.
42. Chocolate or vanilla? It's called DARK chocolate, not PLAIN.
43. Coffee or tea? Horlick's
44. Do you want your friends to e-mail you back? On their own heads be it.
45. When was the last time you cried? Right now (hay fever)
46. What is under your bed? Don't know but it has glowing red eyes.
47. What did you do last night? Thought about answering this e-mail.
48. What are you afraid of? Speaking in church.
49. Salty or sweet? Both, along with savory.
50. How many keys are there on your key ring? No key ring
51. How many years at your current job? 13
52. Favourite day of the week? Monday Morning
53. How many towns have you lived in? "I'm a citizen of the world" - Jared Hull
54. Do you make friends easily? No, I'm Scandinavian
55. How many people will you send this to? One, the lovliest and most joyful of them all.
56. How many will respond? Just sweet Sarah
57. Do you like finding all this stuff out about your friends? Yes, I'm going to sell it on the net.
58. When was the last time you went to the theatre? Summer of '63.