Monday, June 30, 2008

Five Most Influential *Authors*!

A while ago I was tagged by Lorenne to write about the topic "top five influential reads." Well I have not yet done it. I started to write down the most influential books that I have read, but I stopped that list when I got to 261 books. Then I started a list just of my very very favourite books (not just influential ones!), but I stopped that one when I got to 294!

Therefore I have decided to change the title a little. Instead of 'top five influential reads, I am doing, "top five influential authors." So here goes... I will list the author and then a few of my favourite books by that author and why I like them.

1. C.S. Lewis
The Chronicles of Narnia,
The Screwtape Letters,
Mere Christianity and
The Great Divorce.
These are among the most influential books I have read. I love them, I love his style of writing and the way that he has such a grasp on humanity and religion. I think he is one of the greatest psychologists ever known.

2. Mary Ellen Edmunds
Love is a Verb,
Peculiar in a good way and
Prayer, the soul's sincere desire.
Mary Ellen is possibly my favourite female church author, she is hilarious but really very righteous and humble and good. An amazing woman.

3. Sheri Dew
If Life Were Easy It Wouldn't Be Hard and
God Wants A Powerful People
Sheri Dew has not always been a favourite of mine, in fact I went through a phase where I did not like her at all but more recently I have read many of her books and have loved them. She is truly an inspired woman.

4. Patricia Holland
A Quiet Heart
Patricia Holland is my favourite woman in the world. This book was the first 'serious' church book that I had read. I loved it so much and it actually opened the door for me to explore other books by LDS women.

5. Tom Plummer
Waltzing To A Different Strummer,
Eating Chocolates And Dancing In The Kitchen and
Don't Bite Me I'm Santa Claus
Tom is one of my favourite authors of all time. He is amazing. I like his writing style, he is just very open and ordinary and writes about his real life experiences. He is a brilliant man.

There are other authors that have had a great influence on me as I have been growing up, they have contributed to my great love of reading and stories and all things magical. Here are a few of them, A.A Milne, George Eliot, Shirley Hughes, Judy Blume, Roald Dahl, William Shakespeare, Thomas Hardy, Gordon B Hinckley, S. Michael Wilcox, Steve Turner, Stanley Milgram, Philip Zimbardo and just recently J.R.R. Tolkien.

I tag Kerrin, Karen, Cassie, Rachel and Becky.

No comments: