Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Church Offices, How may I help you?

So I work for The Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - in their office building on Temple Square in Salt Lake City. I am a Church Operator in the PBX Office, this is a very fun job - I get to speak to a lot of people who are really rather important and it is rather exciting most of the time. I also get to do pretty much anything as long as I answer the phone which means that I spend most of my days (and some nights) blogging, reading, colouring and pretty much pleasing myself.

I answer calls that come into Church Offices from all over the world. The fun thing about this is that you get to speak to a great collection of people with a great collection of problems and questions which I then have to decipher and send them to the right place to get help for what they need.

I am amazed at how many people call up wanting to speak to a General Authority with problems that could easily be handled by a Bishop or Stake President. Especially as last Sunday there was a statement from the First Presidency that was read in every ward that asked people not to call the General Authorities for trivial things - they just do not have the time to talk to everyone, although I am sure they would love to be able to have that amount of time to talk to us.

I am just amazed by the range and randomness of people's questions. Like the woman who wanted a meeting with President Eyring because "I am Chinese, and um, well, I just want to". Or the person who wanted to know how she could have her deceased pet sealed to her, or maybe the woman who wanted to find out how to legally marry her fiance after he passed away because she could not marry him now because he has Alzhiemers. Of course, we also have our regular callers, the drunk, the swearers and the lonely who just want to talk. It makes work a pretty interesting place and I would not be without these people who make my work day so enjoyable.

1 comment:

Mia said...

So interesting! You've got such a great job! I want to do that when I grow up! By the way, can I speak with President Monsen? I need to know if he thinks I should get my hair cut or should I leave it long . . . .