Friday, October 17, 2008

Chavs!!!!!




One of my favourite terms is 'Chav', I use it a lot. The unfortunate thing is though that no-one in the US has heard the term or understands its meaning. This is total rubbish, especially when you are trying to describe a certain type of person. Therefore I am going to put the description of a chav on here so that you will all know what I am talking about!


The definition of a chav (courtesy of the Oxford English Dictionary) is:
"In the United Kingdom (originally in the south of England): A young person of a type characterized by brash and loutish behaviour and the wearing of designer-style clothes (esp. sportswear): usually with connotations of a low social status."
Here are some examples of how the word 'chav' would be used in a sentence:
"Meet the Chatham Girls, known as 'Chavs', whose fashion sense and reputation for easy virtue have earned them a global following as worthy successors to their northern neighbours, the Essex Girls."


"Children desire nothing more than to dress, talk and behave like chavs, that is a youth tribe that prides itself on council-estate chicman-made fabrics, fake labels and lots of eight-carat gold: think Vicky Pollard in Little Britain."
The photos with this post are of Vicky Pollard from the hit TV show Little Britain (she is the one in the pink top!) and a mock sign post from West Dorset District Council on the feeding of Chavs!!!! Love it!

3 comments:

Becky said...

LOL!! Love it..... although don't feel that inclined to admit being from Dorset now. I thought Chavs were called Pikeys down there these days?!?! :)

Brandi said...

I have learned something new today! I will be on the lookout from now on, for chavs...and I won't be feeding them either!

Mia said...

Oh my. I have so much to learn from you. I can't wait to show this post to Rob. Awes.