Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Mystery of the Phantom Beep

So around General Conference time the operators are in charge of distributing cell phones to visiting General Authorities. After conference all of the phones come back to the operators, are cleaned, charged and stored to be used as loaner phones. This is not a major part of this story but you will need to know this information in order for the rest of it to make sense - so just bear with me ok?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today when I came into work there was a beeping noise, every few minutes coming from one of the back rooms. Marie (my manger) had called a guy from the Physical Facilities department to come and see what was beeping - she thought it might be some high tech equipment that we have in the back room. So, he waited in the small, dark, hot room to hear the beeping, but he could not find where it was coming from. We could, however, still hear the beeping coming from somewhere! Upon further investigation of computers and electronic equipment, Marie and Mr Physical Facilities discovered that it was in fact just a new voicemail left on one of the cell phones that had come back, but had not been checked in and switched off. So there you go, that was the mystery of the phantom beeping and was nothing more exciting than that!!!!!! Too funny!

3 comments:

Brandi said...

Hey at least you know what it was, right?
Funny story.
I love hearing your phone opperator stories. They crack me up! Hey, do you have one of those little trampelines there? (jk)

Buckeye Nut said...

This makes me laugh A LOT!! Last week I too heard the phantom beeping when I was working with Kathy. It bugged me most of the night. At least during the day you guys are busy enough that you don't hear it as ofter, at least I would hope not. Anyway, after we had been talking for a while, I finally figured out it was a battery going dead of one of the phones that was in the box. I then went and turned all of them off since I couldn't figure out which one it was. Funny part, it ended up being the very last one I turned off.

Anonymous said...

That is brill! i don't know why people don't turn their phones off when they return them anyway - it would make more sense as they would not be using them anymore! People are daft!