Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Expectations - The Mask of Zorro


Don't you find it strange sometimes that when you are talking to people that you have never met, either on the phone or on the web, that you get a picture of them in your mind and then when you actually see them they look nothing like you expected. This experience happened to me last week. I am a church operator and as such I get to speak to many people everyday, most of whom work here, and we get to know a few of their voices pretty well. There is one guy that I just LOVE!! His name is Fernando, he is so lovely and I speak to him a lot. But this week I had a total shock. Fernando has a very strong accent and he sounds like he is from a South American country, and because of this I had a very definate idea in my mind of what he looked like. I expected that he would look be average height with quite olive skin, small build, very dark hair and brown eyes, in fact (although I knew that he would not really have this appearance) when I pictured him in my mind, I thought of Zorro - complete with mask, hat and cape, so imagine my shock when I looked him up on 'People Finder' (our super cool tool on the intranet to look up all of the pictures of the people that work here!) and he looked NOTHING LIKE the picture that I had of him in my mind. He is very tall with pale skin and has blonde hair and blue eyes! I have to say that I was a little disappointed that he did not look like Zorro but it did spur an afternoon of fun as we searched his work colleagues and came up with secret identities for all of them; here are a few examples: Fernando = Zorro, Rick = The Lone Ranger, Ed = The Godfather. If you are ever bored at work, this is a great activity, try it out!!!!!!!!!!!
I wonder if people who speak to me on the phone have a totally different idea of what I look like. I am not sure if I would want to know how I am pictured in their minds!!!

5 comments:

Brandi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brandi said...

You are so funny! Almost as funny as me...(just kidding) :)
I wish you would have put a picture of "Zoro" on your blog. That would have been intersting to see.

Unknown said...

I was going to put a picture on here but I was not sure if I am brave enough to put other peoples pictures on without permission and I was not sure that I wanted to ask his permission 'erm, could i put a picture of you on my blog to show people how disappointed I am that you do not actually look like Zorro?" Hmmm maybe not!!
What do you think? Should I do it anyway?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cindy said...

That is so funny. I used to work for Franklin Covey doing computer support (I know I know nothing about computers, strange job for me) and I was constantly talking to store managers on the phone. I was often thrown for a loop when I would see a manager come in for training and they looked nothing at all like I expected. And then I would often wonder what they imagined of me too. :)