Friday, October 24, 2008

Dumb Question???!!!

When you work on the phones you get used to people asking stupid questions, but when I received the following e-mail this week, I had to have a good chuckle. I think in the future I will have to think up more creative responses to stupid questions!!!!!!!!!!

Yesterday I was buying a large bag of Purina dog chow for Sophie the wonder dog at Wal-Mart and was about to check out, when a woman behind me asked me if I had a dog. Well. Looking at the bag and realizing that it actually DID say DOG FOOD IN BIG BOLD LETTERS . . . I was a little bit curious . . So . . since I'm retired with little to do, on impulse, I told her that no, I didn't have a dog. I was starting the Purina Diet again, although I probably shouldn't because I had ended up in the hospital the last time. But since I'd lost 50 pounds, before I awakened in the intensive care ward with tubes coming out of most of my orifices and IVs in both arms, I had decided to give it another try. I told her that it was esse ntially a perfect diet and that the way that it works is to load your pants pockets with Purina nuggets and simply eat one or two every time you feel hungry. The food is nutritionally complete, so I was going to try it again and just be a little more careful this time. (I have to mention here that practically everyone in the line was by now listening and enthralled with my story.) Horrified, she asked if I ended up in intensive care because the dog food poisoned me. I told her no; I stepped off a curb to sniff an Irish Setter's rear end and a car hit us both. I thought the guy behind her was going to have a heart attack, he was laughing so hard when he fell. Wal-Mart has now taken away my shopping privileges.

3 comments:

Cindy said...

That is crazy! Did someone send that to you at work? It's quite the elaborate story she came up with. Seriously though, sometimes when someone asks something totally obvious I do just want to make up some crazy story sometimes.

When we were first married and it took us 6 years before we could get pregnant with Abby people would ask us all the time why we didn't have kids. At least once that I know of Mark made up a story that we actually did have 2 kids but we had a house fire and they died... or something like that. Shuts people up pretty quick!

Brandi said...

That's funny!
I have asked stupid questions like that before. I think it's just that people want to find a way to talk to you (to be friendly) and so they ask too obvious questions to get the conversation rolling.

Unknown said...

Oh Brandi, you are too nice!!!! i feel so mean now for laughing so readily! I know what you are saying though - I have asked dumb questions before just so I can get to know someone better - it is a catch 22 situation, do you open your mouth and risk sounding dumb or keep your mouth shut and risk not getting to know someone better?! I usually go with the dumb question thing - it is much nicer and who cares if you feel like a bit of an idiot! It is all part of the fun right!!!!!!!!!!!!!